College Goal Sunday is a non-profit event coordinated by the Kansas Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (KASFAA) and other interested and dedicated volunteers. It helps students get the money they need to attend college. Students will receive free help from financial aid professionals in submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a requirement for receiving federal aid. One student at each of the 23 locations will receive a $500 scholarship to any college or trade school in the country. (Scholarship recipients must be a first-semester freshman in the fall of 2015.) College Goal Sunday will take place on February 22nd and you can stop by at your closest location anytime between 2-4pm. For more information visit www.collegegoal.org
Arkansas City – Cowley College-Webb-Brown Academic Center
Colby – Colby Community College, Bedker Hall
Concordia – Cloud County Community College-Room 258
Dodge City – Dodge City Community College-Academic Success Center
El Dorado – Butler Community College-1500 Building
Emporia – Emporia High School Library
Garden City – Garden City High School
Great Bend – Barton Community College-Learning Resource Center
Hays – Hays Public Library
Hutchinson – Hutchinson Community College-Shears Technology Center
Iola – Allen County Community College-Student Success Center
Kansas City – Kansas City Kansas Community College-Upper Jewell Building
Lawrence – Haskell Indian Nations University Library
Leavenworth – Leavenworth High School
Liberal – Liberal High School Library
Manhattan/Junction City – Manhattan High School
Olathe – Mid-America Nazarene University-Mabee Library
Overland Park – Johnson County Community College-Student Center, 2nd Floor
Pittsburg – Pittsburg State University-Student Welcoming Center
Salina – Salina Area Technical College-Building A
Topeka – Washburn University-Henderson Learning Resource Center
Wichita – Evergreen Neighborhood Resource Center
Wichita – Wichita Area Technical College
MUSE – FULL BODY WRAP
MUSE – ADVANCED SPA FACIAL
MUSE – SPA PEDICURE AND MANICURE
ARNOLD’S GREENHOUSE – WHEEL EASY WHEEL BARROW
ARNOLD’S GREENHOUSE – BLUE URN PATIO PLANTER
ARNOLD’S GREENHOUSE – 14” SQUARE FOUNTAIN BASE
ARNOLD’S GREENHOUSE – IRON GARDEN BUTTERFLY CHAIR
ARNOLD’S GREENHOUSE – BLACK METAL ROCKING BENCH
SUMMIT HILL GARDENS – SOAP SAMPLER
SUMMIT HILL GARDENS – “ALL THINGS PATCHOULI”
SUMMIT HILL GARDENS – “MINT” TO BE
BETTER BUILT BY BARNES – 8’X12’ DUTCH STYLE BUILDING
CAPPER’S JEWELRY – STERLING SILVER & DIAMOND DANGLE EARRINGS
CAPPER’S JEWELRY – 18 CARAT WHITE GOLD & BLUE TOPAZ RING
CAPPER’S JEWELRY – MEN’S YELLOW BRECARA ULTRA-THIN DRESS WATCH
CONSIGNMENT – $20 GIFT CERTIFICATES (10)
SHEAR CLASS – SHELLAC NAIL SET
TALK OF THE TOWN EVENTS & FLORAL – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (4)
TALK OF THE TOWN EVENTS & FLORAL – $50 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
KK ELECTRIC – OUTDOOR PATIO COOLING FAN
AG CHOICE – GOLD N KENNEL DOG FOOD (3)
EDNA MATTRESS FACTORY – QUEEN ORTHOPEDIC BED SET
AUTOZONE – ARMOR ALL UTILITY VACUUM
AUTOZONE – CAR WASH BUNDLE
AUTOZONE – DURALAST TOOL KIT
ADRENALINE PERFORMANCE & FITNESS – 12 SESSION ½ HOUR PACKAGE
KEAGLE’S FABRIC & MACHINES – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (4)
COUNTRY TRADITIONS REDNECK STYLE – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (4)
COUNTRY TRADITIONS REDNECK STYLE – $50 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
3 GENERATIONS CONSIGNMENT – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (8)
LIFE ESSENTIALS – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (8)
PARSONS FINE JEWELRY – 14 CARAT YELLOW GOLD PAVE TWISTED HOOP EARRINGS
PARSONS FINE JEWELRY – 14 CARAT WHITE GOLD PAVE TWISTED HOOP EARRINGS
BEAUTIFUL BEAST BOUTIQUE – $30 GIFT CERTIFICATES (8)
SERVICE OFFICE – LORELL 86000 SERIES MANAGERIAL CHAIR
TRACKSIDE SALON – $45 HAIR COLOR GIFT CERTIFICATE
TRACKSIDE SALON – SHELLAC NAIL SET
SHIELD’S MOTORS – FITTED DODGE HAT SIZE MEDIUM/LARGE
SHIELD’S MOTORS – 5 QUART OIL CHANGE
BENCHWARMERS – $25 GIFT CARDS (8)
TONY’S GARDEN CENTER – CONCRETE WISHING WELL FOUNTAIN
TONY’S GARDEN CENTER – CONCRETE DOLPHIN FOUNTAIN
IOLA AUTO PARTS – $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE (1)
WILLIAMS MONUMENTS – $400 GIFT CERTIFICATE (1)
THE GREENERY – $8.99 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
THE TREASURE CHEST – POTTERY VASE
THE TREASURE CHEST – 4X6 HARLEY DAVIDSON PICTURE FRAME
REBEL WORKS – $20 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
REBEL WORKS – DAD’S SHOP MOTORCYCLE SIGN
REBEL WORKS – HOME SWEET HOME SIGN
THE SHIRT SHOP – BLACK FLEECE CHANUTE BLUE COMETS HOODIE
THE SHIRT SHOP – BLACK FLEECE HUMBOLDT CUBS HOODIE
THE SHIRT SHOP – SHIRT BUNDLE (2)
DUDLEY’S DONE RIGHT BBQ – $10 GIFT CERTIFICATES (10)
THE CUTTING EDGE – SPRAY TAN
THE CUTTING EDGE – PEDI/MANI SHELLAC COMBO
CHANUTE REC CENTER – PARTY ROOM RENTAL (2 HOURS)
PRODUCER’S CO-OP – FESCUE TUBS (4)
PRODUCER’S CO-OP – $50 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
PRODUCER’S CO-OP – 40 UNITS OF SEED TREATMENT
THE MUSTARD SEED – JESUS CALLING BOOK
THE MUSTARD SEED – LIGHT BLUE COFFEE TABLE
JOCK’S NITCH – $25 GIFT CARDS (4)
TO THE NINES – IVORY HALTER TOP WEDDING DRESS SIZE 8
CHANUTE CHIROPRACTIC CENTER – BIOFREEZE (2)
JAYHAWK LUMBER – CRESCENT 4 PIECE WRENCH & PLIER SET
JAYHAWK LUMBER – STANLEY PORTABLE VACUUM
JAYHAWK LUMBER – SKILL POWER WRENCH
RC AUTO – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (4)
RC AUTO – $50 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
THE FEATHERED NEST – PAIR OF FLORAL PICTURES
THE FEATHEREDNEST – RED VELVET LEAF WREATH
THE FEATHERED NEST – LANG CALENDAR
WEILERT CHIROPRACTIC – 30 MINUTE MASSAGE & CHIROPRACTIC TREATMENT
THE KRAZE – $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES (2)
INERTIA – 1 MONTH GYM MEMBERSHIP
INERTIA – 3 MONTH GYM MEMBERSHIP
INERTIA – 150 PREMIUM TANNING MINUTES
CALDWELL FLOOR COVERING – ORECK VACUUM CLEANER
PRAIRIE RIDGE – GOLF MEMBERSHIP
MERLE KELLY FORD – 6 QUART OIL CHANGE (2)
BELLA CAPELLI – SPRAY TAN
BELLA CAPELLI – HAIR CUT
BELLA CAPELLI – HAIR PRODUCT GIFT BASKET
CEDAR TREE BARN – $250 VALUE SUNDAY THRU THURSDAY RENTAL OR $250 OFF WEEKEND RENTAL RATE
NCCC coaching staff will do away with their loafers for the night of January 31st in favor of sneakers as part of the annual Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers Awareness Campaign.
In conjunction with the Suits and Sneakers game, Neosho Athletics and NCCC are teaming up for “Wear Your Sneakers To Work Day”. With just a minimum donation of $5, employees can ditch their loafers or heels and wear sneakers to work on Wednesday, January 28th.
Suits and Sneakers is a way for coaches and their staff to raise awareness about the fight against cancer. By wearing sneakers with their suits, it also helps highlight the importance of physical activity and proper nutrition as a way to reduce the risk of the disease
Local businesses are encouraged to join in on the cause too! For more information, or how to make a donation, contact Mike Saddler by email at email@example.com or by phone at 620-432-0397.
A.C.A.R.F. PET OF THE WEEK:
Heatbreaker alert! Harley is just a completely darling guy
Young hound mix pup Harley is a sweet boy with a happy personality. He’s a gangly, goofy, and very friendly baby who would make a wonderful pal. Harley has a beautiful coat that is cream, tan, brown, and black, and has soft brown eyes. This is a beautiful boy, inside and out! Harley is available for adoption now at the Allen County Animal Rescue Facility in La Harpe. For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 620-496-3647.
Operation Soup Line will be on February 5th this year at the Masonic Temple in Chanute from 11 am to 7 pm. Only $6 per person for a great meal!
The 3rd Annual My Town Media Toy Drive is up and running! Bring a new, unwrapped toy to our studios on the corner of Cherry and Plummer in Chanute or to one of the following locations:
– Talk of the Town by Betsy
– Marc’s Place Vape Shop
– Malson Real Estate
– Merle Kelly Ford
– Tony’s Garden Center
– Kacy’s Party Store
Thank you and Merry Christmas!
There will be Christmas Caroling on Saturday, December 13th downtown Main Street in Chanute with the Royster Middle School Choir. That will be going on from 10am – Noon.
Bundle up the kids and head downtown to Main Street in Chanute for the Christmas Parade of Lights December 2nd. The Parade gets underway starting at 7:00pm.
Have you voted yet? No? Why? Because you don’t know where to you say? Nonsense. Go to our Facebook page and give us a Like. We have a site that helps you find your polling location. Just a friendly reminder from your friends at Hot 105!
Senator Bob Dole plans to visit the following locations during the sixth of several trips to Kansas this year. All visits are open to the public.
Monday, July 14:
Oskaloosa, Jefferson County Courthouse, Commissioners Room (300 Jefferson St.), 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Alma, St. John Lutheran Church (218 W. 2nd St.), 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Council Grove, Council Grove Senior Center (227 W. Main St.), 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Marion, Marion Community Center (203 N. 3rd St.), 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, July 15:
Cottonwood Falls, Chase County Courthouse (300 Pearl St.), 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Eureka, Greenwood Hotel (301 N. Main St.), 1 to 2 p.m.
Yates Center, Woodson County Ambulance Building (114 N. Main St.), 2:45 to 3:45 p.m.
Burlington, Coffey County Library (410 Juniatta St.), 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Osage City, Osage County Senior Center (604 Market St.), 6:15 to 7:15 p.m.
“I’m looking forward to continuing my tour of Kansas,” Senator Dole said. “I hope to see friends and former supporters of mine, and I’ll plan to enjoy lots of brownies, oatmeal raisin cookies and pies along the way.”
So fresh off of my family trip to Branson, I wanted to highlight some…highlights of Branson, MO. Since moving to SEK, I have been to Branson almost annually. Atleast making a trip to Silver Dollar City for a weekend. So now with a wife and 2 kids a long for the ride, here are some quick things that are a must for your next trip.
– It is what it says it is. Honestly, you can’t miss this thing. If you’re traveling down the strip, you’ll first notice the 2 huge stacks towering from the building resembling the “face” of the Titanic. Once you enter, you’ll get a chance to put your hand on an “iceberg” to get a sense of how cold that block of ice was that doomed the ship. Here are my positives and negatives of the Titanic Museum in Branson, MO
+ Education, informative, and fun. If you’re looking for something on the educational side, this is it. Even our 3 year old had fun looking at some of the exhibits. For the kiddos, I recommend the audio tour add-on since there’s quite a bit of reading.
+ 2+ hours. You might think this is a bad thing, but honestly, on a day that it rained, it was great to spend it inside learning about a piece of history. If you’re planning a trip to Branson and need a filler, this is a place to stop. Plus…you really owe it to your self to take your time to marvel at the attention to detail in a lot of the exhibits, including the famous stair case.
+ Hands on and interactive. Not only was this educational, but it was entertaining. One of our favorites was the 3 levels of elevation the ship reportedly went through on it’s sinking and you had the opportunity to “climb” on the side railing and hold on for dear life. (FYI – I was the only one in our family to make it to the top). Also – you could stick your finger (or if you’re dumb and brave like me your whole hand) in water that was as cold as the ocean was that fateful April evening and see how long you could last. (1 minute with my whole hand…which I don’t recommend BTW).
- No pictures. Because of copyright law and legal mumbo jumbo you couldn’t take pictures.
- The price. This one will cost you a pretty penny…or quite a few. But honestly, I would much rather spend my money on this exhibit than some dinner and show.
THE HOLLYWOOD WAX MUSEUM
You’ve probably seen these on the travel channel or something similar. Wax figures that eerily resemble your favorite Hollywood actor or actress. This was a lot of fun for the adults…and the kids too.
+ Price is family friendly. Honestly, this one didn’t set you back too much, especially with a family of 4.
+ Interactive and can take pictures. You can stand next to the figures and take your picture with them. They just ask that you be respectful and don’t get too frisky. I had to remind that to the wife about Robert Downey Jr….
- Too short. I think we spent maybe 30-45 minutes walking through. I would have liked to have seen more, but again for the price I couldn’t complain. My wife was happy too…again RDJ.
If you made it this far…in conclusion, these two places are well worth the stops in Branson. We did some other stuff too…but I won’t go into boring details about that. If you’re planning to go to Branson soon, tell them Zoel from Hot 105 sent you. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
As the Royals come off a very successful 5-2 home stand that saw them vault into second place in the American League Central, they’re now faced with their most important stretch of games of the 2014 season. They head to Chicago to take on the White Sox in a three-game set and then will go to Detroit to do battle with the division leading Tigers. By the time the Royals get to Detroit, they could have switched places with them, but that seems unlikely, so we’ll work under the premise that they will still have some work to do in catching the Tigers rather than putting distance between the Royals and them.
Here are three reasons why this trip is so important:
1. Any games against division foes are very important to come out victorious. It’s obvious, but every game won against them provides a two game swing in the standings. The Royals haven’t been so good against their division rivals this season. Even with a two-game sweep against the Indians, the Royals are just 8-15 against the AL Central. I’m no math major, but when you see how far back they are from first place, you start to realize what could be if they were just 11-12 against the division, let alone having a winning record. They need to get things going against the AL Central if they want to have a real shot at this thing.
2. The White Sox are a team that is just good enough to think they have a chance. If they think they have a chance over the next few weeks, they might go out on the trade market and try to pick up a pitcher or even a bat who could help them to really have a chance. I don’t have to tell you that this scenario is not good for the Royals. The White Sox, right now, are not the best team in the division nor are they even one of the best two or three teams in the division, but when you let a team hang around for long enough, they start to believe it. It’s sort of like the upsets in the NCAA tournament. That number 13 seed might not actually be better than the number four seed, but when it’s 55-53 with 11:08 to go in the second half, they believe they are. The difference here is that the White Sox actually can get better if they think they need upgrades. The Royals need to send them to the bottom of the division this weekend to help avoid that fate because if the White Sox upgrade, they may very well end up better than the Royals.
3. To be the best, you have to beat the best. The Tigers have shown over the course of the last few seasons that they are the absolute class of the American League Central. The Royals are currently 0-5 against them this season, and that has to change in a hurry. Since starting the season 27-12, the Tigers have really taken a tumble, so they are beatable, but being beatable and being beaten are two separate things. The Tigers have shown some weakness over the last few weeks, and while they’re still very good and probably the class of the division, they are a team that can be beaten right now. If the Royals handle the White Sox, it’s important that they head into Detroit and make a statement in this series. It’s not just a statement to show that they’ve “arrived” or anything like that, but a statement to potentially show the Tigers who the top dog is now. Hopefully when it’s all said and done, it will be the Royals.
This is unfamiliar territory for the Royals. Last year’s team made their move late in the season, so they have the experience of a race, but there haven’t been too many Royals teams in a good position in mid-June. This year is different so far. This road trip needs to be different too.